Friday, November 25, 2005

Tao-te Ching: Chapter Seventy Six

On this holiday weekend I've been dipping back into the reading of The Taoist texts.They are always a source to calm, inspire and renew.Some of you know that I currently care-give my Mom who has dementia. Recently she has been slipping further into the next stages of paranoia at times, more agitation, and some mild hallucinations.It has been hard to see a once vibrant and communicative dear person, now a shadow of her former Socorro-self. I've taken first steps to gather even more forces to assist me when I had my first visit from the Caregiver's Alliance people on Wednesday. It was long overdue.

The Tao-te Ching assists to groom vitality, energy, and spirit much needed presently I would say. This chapter indicates a paradox in which mastery is accomplished not by assertion but by flexibility.This flexibility is critical right now for myself and I'm pretty sure for others as well in their day-to-day actions and interactions.Just think about it.

When People Are Born

When people are born they are supple,
and when they die they are stiff.
When trees are born they are tender,
and when they die they are brittle.
Stiffness is thus a cohort of death,
flexibility is a cohort of life.
So when an army is strong,
it does not prevail.
When a tree is strong,
it is cut for use.
So the stiff and strong are below,
the supple and yielding on top.

1 comment:

Sixty Bricks said...

so it is best to be supple